Program Instructors: Academic Skills Course
We are currently seeking part time instructors for the International Graduate Study Preparation Program (IGSPP). This program is for international students who are planning on attending graduate programs in North America or other English-speaking regions.
Participants focus on increasing cultural understanding and awareness, building academic skills (critical thinking, writing and research skills, class participation as well as presentation skills and time management, etc.) and strengthening communication skills for non-native English speakers. However, these are not ESL programs.
The position is for one 3.5-hour class per week and some Friday and Saturday workshop classes. Classes begin January 11th until term end April 30th, 2016. We will prioritize candidates who are able to make more than a one-term commitment.
We are looking for Instructors with the following qualifications:
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in a related field plus studies in critical thinking (graduates of Canadian degree programs will be given priority)
- Recognized experience instructing comparative culture and leadership
- Demonstrated ability in teaching how to facilitate academic discussion
- Minimum of 2 years teaching experience at the adult level with demonstrated classroom management skills
- Demonstrated facilitation experience
- Related cross-cultural work or educational experience both in Canada and overseas
- Effective communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- The ability to work as part of a team
- Good knowledge of UBC, Vancouver and Canada
- High level of English-language fluency
- Experience with learners of a second language; an understanding of the language acquisition process
This position’s availability is dependant on the number of students in the program. Please send CV by November 24, 2015 to:
UBC Continuing Studies
We appreciate all responses, however only those being considered for interviews will be contacted.