Call for Nominations to the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation Survivors Circle. Due: Sept 2, 2016
ConstitutionMirroring the Governing Circle, the Survivors Circle will be composed of seven members, each serving two-year terms capable of renewal.
Travel, expenses, and a modest honorarium related to participation in the Circle will be provided by the Centre.
Members of the Circle should be prepared to work in a spirit of collaboration with the staff of the Centre, the University, the Governing Circle, and other Partners of the Centre.
The Survivors Circle will provide advice and guidance to the NCTR and the Governing Circle on a range of topics including, but not limited to:
• Respectful care of the documents and statements collected by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada (TRC)
• Survivor perspectives on personal privacy and access to records
• Commemorative initiatives as they relate to the Centre’s activities
Members of the Circle may also be called upon to make speaking visits to schools, universities, and other organizations in addition to acting as a representative of the Centre on occasion.
First Nations, Inuit, and Métis organizations, groups, communities, and individuals may nominate individuals to the Survivors Circle.
Survivors may also nominate themselves.
For organizations submitting nominations, nominators should confirm the individual is willing and able to accept nomination to the Committee prior to submitting names to the Nominating Committee for review.
Each nomination should consist of:
• A brief biography or resume of the individual
• A brief statement on why the individual nominated would make a good addition to the Circle.
• For Survivors nominating themselves, a short bio and explanation of why you wish to be considered.
• One or more letters of support
Nominations will be reviewed by the NCTR Governing Circle.
The Governing Circle will have sole discretion to appoint the members of the Survivors Circle and will make an effort to balance cultures, languages, gender, and geographic spread in their selection.
Members will be appointed for a duration of two years with the potential to renew this appointment.
Submission of Names
Please send nomination submissions no later than September 2nd 2016 to
All submissions will be treated with the utmost of confidence.