Day: August 22, 2018
Job – Instructor(s) Canadian Aboriginal Policy and Aboriginal Women in Canada, at Langara College. Needed ASAP
CONCURRENT JOB POSTING
(As per Article 10.2.3 of the Collective Agreement)
Department/Program: Aboriginal Studies
Description of Position:
The Aboriginal Studies department at Langara College is looking for a part-time instructor (or instructors) to teach ABST 1104 – Canadian Aboriginal Policy and ABST 1116 – Aboriginal Women in Canada in the fall of 2018 with the possibility of additional work in the Spring of 2019 (see https://langara.ca/programs-and-courses/courses/ABST). The Aboriginal Studies department offers first and second year university transfer courses. The successful candidate will also help facilitate ABST cultural seminars.
- Master’s Degree in relevant field (Indigenous Studies, Women’s, Gender or International Studies is considered an asset; PhD Preferred).
- Post-secondary teaching experience from an intersectional feminist scholarship, critical theory and community-based/participatory perspective (additional teaching experience considered an asset).
- International and on/off reserve experience in Aboriginal community-based governance and policy analysis (additional work experience considered an asset).
- A comprehensive understanding of the international, historical and contemporary policies affecting Aboriginal Peoples pre/post Canadian confederation including socio-economic determinants of health and the unique challenges facing Indigenous learners living on/off reserve.
- Working knowledge of the tri-council statement policy statement involving respectful research involving the First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples of Canada.
- Experience designing and delivering lesson plans for intercultural classroom compositions.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment with faculty and staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effectively use available class and seminar time and maintain appropriate office hours to ensure availability for student consultation.
- Maintain collegial working relationships in a manner consistent with the 4Rs of respect, responsibility, relevance and reciprocity.
- As appropriate, actively seek opportunities to integrate students and learning into on/off reserve organizations throughout British Columbia.
- Be an authentic and active contributor to the Aboriginal Studies Department, the Faculty of Social Sciences, the Langara Faculty Association and the College.
o Full time X Part-Time, Fraction (25%) of Full-Time
o Regular X Temporary
Length of appointment: Sept 1, 2018 – Dec 31, 2018
Start Date: August, 2018
Salary Range: Salary placement is on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience
Employee Group: LF
Application Information: To apply, please visit our website at http://www.langara.bc.ca and select “Employment Opportunities”
For further information regarding this opportunity, please contact Justin Wilson, Coordinator Aboriginal Studies Program at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: 10 Days after postin
Posted on: July 25, 2018
Distribution: Human Resources, L.F.A., Deans’ Office
J:\Deans\templates\Form – Job Posting
(Original template in Deans of Instruction Office)